Sunday, March 20, 2011

From Scratch–> Noodles –> Cookies (Week 8: 2/20-2/26)


One of the biggest issues I have always had with food is that there are way too many “pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes and your food is ready” options/ “come in and five mins later walk out with your food” options. I love a good micky d’s run just like every other person, but I have hardly been able to sustain myself on just that. Mickey is good for sweet tea, an oreo mcflurry and a club chicken sandwich (yum!) but not as an everyday meal.  Plus my body takes offense to microwave dinner/lunch/breakfast/soup because it = intense stomachache with migraine. So I was randomly going through this thought process when I wondered what simple everyday foods I can make from scratch. There are certain foods that I always think of as only packaged. So I decided to make something that we are accustomed to getting out of cans. At this time, I had a weird fascination with soups, partly because I had lost my appetite for days and was looking for ways to keep my body sustained. So I decided to make chicken noodle soup….from scratch! By from scratch, I mean noodles from scratch too!  I have never made my own noodles before talk less of making chicken noodles soup. Now that I think of it, I have never made soup (in the non-Nigerian usage) before. You already know what I did first!!! Allrecipes.com! Yupzzzz! I did my search and there were so many easy recipes for noodles! It was slightly shocking but then again allrecipes is so vast that it really should not have been very surprising. Anyhoooolala, I used Grandma’s Noodles II recipe on that site and it was fairly simple! I followed the recipe but I had one stumbling block! I have no rolling pin! But fear not, common sense to the rescue!  I used a can of spray oil as make shift rolling pins. It did not work as well as a rolling pin, but it worked! Chea! I made the noodles. The biggest lesson from this experience is, patience. There were multiple periods of waiting. Not waiting, will lead to the noodles not coming out right. So what are you noodles? Are you waiting for them?








In addition to the noodles, I also wanted to  make cookies from scratch. Choco chip cookies! Hmmm! I am not a fan of sweets but I will eat a cookie, or two! I went to my trusty site and looked through many recipes. I settled on the recipe, Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies II. I did not have chocolate chips so as substitute,  I crushed Hershey’s milk chocolate bars. It was really an interesting experience because 1) I have never thought about how chocolate cookies get their brown color, and 2) I did not realize how much sugar is in cookies! Either way, I made them! I was not thoroughly pleased with them. They were not chewy but they still tasted good. Another thing that was different from this experience is that for the first time, I allowed others to taste my cooking.  I am starting small but I am getting there! Before I know it, I will be inviting people to dinner! I am excited about getting to that place where I share my cooking with others! Oh joy! Open-mouthed smile






No comments:

Post a Comment